CCIE Security Exam Changes: What You Need to Know for 2023
The CCIE Security certification is one of the most prestigious and sought-after certifications in the IT industry. It is an expert-level certification that validates the knowledge and skills required to design, implement, and maintain complex security solutions using Cisco technologies and products. Recently, Cisco announced some changes to the CCIE Security exam that will take effect in 2023.
The new CCIE Security exam will have some changes to both the written and lab exams. Let’s take a closer look at what these changes are.
Written Exam Changes
Starting in April 2023, the CCIE Security written exam will be replaced with a new exam called the “Cisco Certified Specialist – Security Core”. This exam will test the candidate’s knowledge of the latest security technologies and solutions, including:
- Secure access
- Threat defense
- Infrastructure security
- Identity management and access control
- Data and content security
1. Cloud security
The new exam will also test the candidate’s ability to understand and analyze security risks, and to develop and implement security policies and procedures. The exam will be 120 minutes long and will have around 90-110 questions. The passing score for the exam will be 825 out of 1000.
2. Lab Exam Changes
The CCIE Security lab exam will also undergo some changes in 2023. The new lab exam will test the candidate’s ability to design, configure, and troubleshoot complex security solutions in a real-world network environment. According to this CCIE lab resource the lab exam will be divided into two modules: a design module and an implementation module. See CCIE Security lab here.
3. Design Module
The design module will test the candidate’s ability to design a security solution that meets the customer’s requirements and objectives. The module will be four hours long and will consist of multiple-choice questions, drag-and-drop questions, and network topology diagrams. The module will test the candidate’s knowledge of security technologies and solutions, as well as their ability to develop a comprehensive security plan that addresses the customer’s needs.
4. Implementation Module
The implementation module will test the candidate’s ability to implement and troubleshoot the security solution designed in the first module. The module will be six hours long and will consist of a real-world network environment where the candidate will configure and troubleshoot various security technologies and solutions. The module will test the candidate’s ability to implement and troubleshoot security technologies and solutions, as well as their ability to resolve issues quickly and efficiently.
What You Need to Know to Prepare for the New Exam
If you are planning to take the CCIE Security exam in 2023, you need to start preparing for the new exam as soon as possible. Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Familiarize yourself with the new exam topics: Review the new exam topics and make sure you understand the concepts and technologies covered in the exam.
- Study the recommended resources: Cisco provides a list of recommended resources for the CCIE Security exam. Make sure you study these resources and practice with the hands-on labs and simulations provided.
- Practice, practice, practice: The new CCIE Security exam will test your ability to design, configure, and troubleshoot complex security solutions in a real-world network environment. Practice with real-world scenarios and simulations to improve your skills.
- Join a study group: Joining a study group can help you stay motivated and get support from other candidates who are preparing for the exam.